The Hard Work of a Railroader

13 degrees was the temperature outside as my son and I ate our lunch after Christmas shopping. We stopped at the Port Huron Amtrak station to watch a train stopped in the St. Clair Tunnel, apparently under emergency. After watching the crews for a few minutes I realized the train had pulled apart from the locomotives due to a broken coupler or part of the coupler and or drawbar. The crew was climbing in and under the cars on the grade going into the tunnel. The snow was deep for we just had another storm of about 8 inches fresh on top of 10 inches already on the ground in most places.
A set of locomotives were cut off from the rest of the train and came back to the car in trouble. They chained the car to the coupler of the locomotive and my son and I watched them as they work to move that troublesome car from the train. Before we knew it the work was done and it was time to leave. We should all remember those who do this tough jobs out there on the rails. I sure know, I did some of that work before and I have a great apreciation for their work. Enjoy the photos.





Comments

Popular Posts