The Big Oak Tree on the Port Huron State Game Area

A 2 hour hike in February of 2022, traveling 1.75 miles overall, took my daughter & I to a huge oak tree I found on the Port Huron  State Game Area hunting many years ago. The oak tree was 17ft in circumference after my daughter & I measured it. In 2014 it was 16ft 5" when I made this trip with my son. 

The trip requires crossing the Black River into what I call the axehead due to its appearance in Google Earth. You cannot enter it any other way due to being landlocked by private land east of itslocation.

It's best viewed in winter with no leaves. There are some shallow gravel bars you can cross when the water is low, but that is ever changing. A huge log jam also must be crossed depending on your route. It has all sorts of destroyed junk, canoes, kayak, sheds, etc in there.

Comments

Popular Posts