A Solar Snow Sky Show

The last few days on the sun it has spat out lots of energy from the solar wind, solar flares and coronal mass ejections... plus the solar wind from a coronal hole too. In any event there is always the chance that the magnetic energy and plasma will give us a light show with the aurora. Michigan's northern latitudes usually get better shows than the southern parts. So for this weeks active sun, we have had a treat tonight. 

With geomagnetic Kp-index at 6 I ventured outside with the cell phone camera. It does a good job of taking a basic shot of the sky and seeing of there is any hint of light from the aurora. With a green and pink glow from an image at 2100 local I knew enough that by 1030 there should be some good light to take photos. 

A clear sky (forecasted cloudy), cold and snow with a waxing crescent moon all come together to make for a great show. After about 30 minutes my hands were frozen and my camera was cold too. I was time to come in and see what I got.









Comments

Popular Posts