The VanHoosen Farm 1982

Images through the lens of my Dad's camera of the historic Van Hoosen Farm in Oakland County near Rochester, MI. The last time I was there was in 1993 and I was going fishing in Stoney Creek at the bridge by the farm. A few new homes were being built and some man came down from a newer home up on the hill and said I had to leave and that he was going to call the cops because people like me were causing trouble (fishing?).
I told him if he felt I was a  threat to his homestead by fishing then go call the Sheriff. No cops ever came, and he stood there for a few moments then paced back up the hill.

My Dad took these images before the contractors spoiled the rolling meadows and before the urban sprawl occluded the horizon with $300,000+ homes. I have not been back there since that day. I do not want to go back there. I have almost forgotten about this area up until I discovered these negatives to scan.

Here is Van Hoosen Farm in 1982 frozen in January as my father, Joseph A. Meinhard, captured it on film in black and white.

Comments

Popular Posts