PM Port Huron Yard
The PM was merged into the C&O Railroad in 1947, then in the 1980 CSX was the sole owner and operator of the yard. Its main use was switching C&O freight train cars to cross the St. Clair River by Pere Marquette 10 RR ferry. This ferry crossed to Sarnia, Ontario. Oversized railcars that did not fit through Grand Trunk Westerns Tunnel circa late 1880's went the ferry route. Both the PM and GTW had ferry operations at the "Boat Yard" as it was called. Here the massive PM counterweights for the ferry dock stand still and unused since the opening of the new CN St. Clair River Tunnel in 1995.